Archos has upped the ante today with the unveiling of their new G9 tablets, the 8-inch ARCHOS 80 G9 and 10-inch ARCHOS 101 G9. The new ARCHOS G9 tablets feature the industries fastest processing chip, the 1.5 GHz TI OMAP4460 dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 SoC, and the largest capacity storage drives, the 250GB 7mm Seagate Momentus Thin Hard Disk Drives (HDD).
The 8-inch ARCHOS 80 G9 offers a 4:3 format LCD with an XGA (1024 x 768) resolution, and the 10-inch ARCHOS 101 G9 has a widescreen LCD with a WXGA (1280 x 800) resolution. Archos states that both of these tablets will be shipping with the latest version of Google’s Android Honeycomb operating system for tablets, Android 3.1.
System storage can be flash memory based or hard disk based, the two Gen 9 tablets have the option for a 16GB flash storage drive built-in or a 250GB Seagate Hard Disk Drive. The 16GB models will be the least expensive models.
Connectivity on both ARCHOS G9 tablets is something to be commended. The 8-inch and 10-inch tablets both come with USB 2.0 ports (w/ slave and host support), microSD and microSDHC card readers (only for 16GB flash mem. models), HDMI, Wi-FI (802.11b/g/n), and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR.
Media playback support is another thing that is to be commended for these tablets, but ARCHOS is pretty well-known for devices that can playback almost anything. Here’s what the ARCHOS G9 tablets support:
- For the audio playback the ARCHOS G9 tablets support MP3, WMA, WMA-Pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM), AAC, AAC+5.13, OGG Vorbis, FLAC and with an optional software plug-in AC3 5.1 is supported as well.
- In the video playback department these tablets support MPEG-4 HD (up to 1080p), MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution), H.264 HD (HP@L3.1 up to 1080p), WMV9/VC1 (AP up to 1080p), and with an optional software plug-in you can watch MPEG2 (up to DVD resolution MP/D1) and video files with the following extensions too AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, MKV, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, WMV
Other details like battery life, and other features are listed below in no particular order.
- Adobe Flash Player support
- Built-in features: Compass, GPS, speakers, G-sensor, Vibrator, Built-in kick stand, Built-in Microphone
- Innovative 3G – The ARCHOS Gen 9 tablets have the ability to receive 3G mobile broadband signals using a USB 3G stick, it’s a $49 optional upgrade.
- Camera – 720p front camera with 720p encoding
- Battery life – Music playback time: up to 36 hrs; Video playback time: up to 7 hrs ;Internet navigation time: up to 10 hrs
- Weight – ARCHOS 80 G9; 465g (17 oz) for 16GB flash model and 599g (21.9 oz) for the 250GB HDD model. ARCHOS 101 G9; 649g (23.8 oz 16GB flash model and 755g (27.7 oz) for 250GB HDD model.
According to Archos the two tablets will hit the marketplace this September, and to stay true to their roots the new devices will be affordable too. The ARCHOS 80 G9
will start at $279 while the ARCHOS 101 G9 will start at $349. See the official pricing here.