Update: The links to pre-order pages are no longer active, sorry.
Samsung will soon begin launching their first major counter to Apple and their iPad tablets with the 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 10.1. June 8th is when you can expect to be able to go into stores (in the US) and pick up a Wi-Fi only version of the tablet, but today you can beat the rush and pre-order your 16GB or 32GB through J&R.
Through their online retail store J&R is offering the 16GB Wi-Fi only Galaxy Tab 10.1 for $499 and the 32GB Wi-Fi only version for $599. Those prices match the new Apple iPad 2, which kept the same price as the first generation across the range.
Other than the pricing similarities the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad 2 have very little in common. For starters the 10.1 features a larger and believe it or not better (in terms of picture quality) display, the 10.1 has a 10.1-inch HD (1280 x 800) PLS display. Secondly the 10.1 offers Google’s Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system which offers more than Apple’s iOS. Other differences that are in favor of the 10.1 for many include more RAM, higher-spec. cameras, Adobe Flash Player support, a thinner design (by 0.25 mm), and a lighter design (by 6 grams).
However unlike other Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets the 10.1 doesn’t have ports over the iPad 2. On the Wi-Fi only 10.1 models there are no ports only a single proprietary charging port located on the bottom of the device (when it is held in landscape) that can have adapters connected like on the iPad 1 and 2. Right now some believe a microSD card slot could be seen on the 3G model as a part of a SIM Card slot.
Again, Samsung will be launching the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Wi-Fi only options on June 8th in the US.
Main features for the Galaxy Tab 10.1
- Android 3.0 Honeycomb – first Android OS built specifically for tablets
- 10.1-inch PLS WXGA display (1280 x 800 resolution)
- Capacitive multi-touch
- Nvidia Tegra 2 – 1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 – ULP GeForce with 8 cores
- 1GB of RAM
- 16GB or 32GB of flash memory storage
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth
- 2MP front & 8MP rear cameras – Auto-focus and LED flash included with rear camera
- GPS built-in to each model Wi-Fi only and mobile broadband (3G/4G) models too
- 7000mAh Li-Ion Battery that offers a Samsung quoted 10 hours of life per full charge